View Single Post
Old May 3, 2018   #30
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervey View Post
This year was my second attempt. Both years I did a test batch of which all died. Last year, two of the real attempts lived. This year, I did twice as many, and still only two survived my gauntlet of death.

I am working with a simple 1020 tray and a dome. I thought things were going better this year, but for me the hardest part is the end of the healing. With a heating mat underneath, the soil begins to dry out. If I bottom water, it adds a ton of humidity which seems to inhibit the weaning process. Difficult to get that very gradual reduction in humidity with my rudimentary controls.

Sorry to hear you're having difficulties. Maybe tell us what method you're using and we might be able to help you pin down the problem(s).

Also, I'm wondering why you're using a heat mat. The grafted plants seem to be happier in a cooler environment -- you want very slow root growth while the graft heals. And ideally you do want to maintain high humidity, but you shouldn't water at all until you're at the point where the dome comes off completely. I'm thinking ditching the heat mat should be step one towards better results.
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote