View Single Post
Old May 4, 2018   #9
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed of Somis View Post
I say thanks to all for the help. I am now thinking that it is indeed herbicide (roundup) damage. I sprayed in the area...making sure there was no breeze. Maybe that was not enough caution. I think I just learned that tomatoes are hyper-sensitive to herbicides. The damage does resemble CMV...but I will pull the plants and replace.
Ed, that doesn’t sound like roundup damage. It could however be very mild 2-4-D damage. You get leaf browning from roundup and if enough gets on the plant the whole plant will die. I have had both in the past and the 2-4-D is much more frustrating because it takes so long to tell if the plants will survive. I think it would take a fairly heavy drift of roundup to kill tomatoes but very little 2-4-D to do irreparable harm. If your leaves look like the examples MissS posted, particularly the upper left one, it would probably be better to pull it and plant again rather than wait and hope for a recovery. When I had 2-4-D exposure it took a long time for some to recover and some never did.

Without good pictures it is impossible to know what you are dealing with.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote