View Single Post
Old June 5, 2018   #19
Urbanheirlooms
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nan_PA_6b View Post
Bjbebs-I just use the plain cage-type with the spring loaded door. I put them on the ground hog's path to my garden, baited with carrots. They get caught easily. The biggest problems with these traps are: 1.) raccoons often get caught instead, and 2.) when I'm done, I have a live ground hog to get rid of.

You're right about either fence or feed 'em. They're worse than deer in that deer are picky. Ground hogs will eat almost anything.
Nan
My groundhogs are picky! They wait until the largest, prettiest tomatoes on my vines start to blush, then pick them off and eat a few bites, then just leave most of the tomato on the ground take me even madder! They never touch the ugly deformed cat faced tomatoes. I have my garden fenced which does keep the deer out, but unless you have the posts real close together, they just force their way under the fence. Even with part of my garden fenced with 6' privacy fence, they dig under it. Last summer my wife was in the kitchen and saw one in my garden. I went out on my deck and there was a large groundhog standing up on its back legs holding a nice tomato in its front paws looking straight at me eating away.

I have effectively used smoke bombs in the past, but all of the burrows are on neighbors property and they will not let me kill them.
Urbanheirlooms is offline   Reply With Quote