View Single Post
Old June 26, 2018   #370
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
Oh by the way this is why I said let the soil rest.
This allows the tomato roots to rot and go away.
In my humble opinion I see nothing to gain from trying to grow more tomatoes this summer.
Wait and put some tasty cool weather treats in this fall.
In other words just chop the plant off at the soil.

Worth
Chopping the plants off at the soil is what I did basically. I left a few inches of the stalk which makes them look like a 5 gallon bucket with a pumpkin stem sticking out at the top

I know the roots will decompose - especially because they are so thin compared to RKN contaminated roots from in-ground plants of years past. Letting them decompose will actually prove to be beneficial (In my mind) because if I tried to remove the roots now - I would lose some of the mix. (I'm still trying to learn not to call it soil or dirt.)

Marsha also wrote about solarizing containers which combined with what you wrote... Moving those containers out in heavy sun and putting 13 gallon trash bags on them sounds like solarizing and root decomposition all-in-one.

If this summer proves to be like May and June - it's going to be a hot one. Accuweather is on behind me. NOAA is saying upper 90s for the week ahead. Accuweather is saying 100+F every day. Both are saying humid, and it is.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote