View Single Post
Old July 24, 2018   #14
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmsieglaff View Post
Try them at all stages of ripeness (well aside from green)--they change and everyone has a different opinion of peak flavor. When left inside and allowed to get very very orange, I feel they become too sweet and lose that tang I so much enjoy. My favorite stage is probably when the fruit first becomes completely orange.
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post
With the above post I completely agree, try them at different stages of ripeness and see which stage you like the best.

And I'm assuming that we are discussing Sungold F1 hybrid, not one of the OP's that Reinhard in Germany worked with, and some of his are darn good as well.

Carolyn
I also agree. Sungold has three different tastes. I call them stages of taste. Stage 1 is where they are pretty firm and have just changed from green. That's the stage my wife likes them in. Stage 2 is what I like most because the flavor seems balanced to me. Stage 3 is when they are fully ripe and are the softest and have a stronger sweet flavor.

Something I have noticed in my 3 years of growing them is that the fully ripe Sungold tomatoes tend to split more after a rain shower.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote