Thread: Weather
View Single Post
Old July 27, 2018   #2384
JRinPA
Tomatovillian™

We are in a good spot to deter flooding, though not a good spot for any amount of decent fishing without a decent drive. Hill and valley, with one small creek nearby. We had a lot of rain but not nearly as much as Reading and points west, at least according to the radar tracts. Lancaster/Lebanon/Susq Valley just looked like it kept getting hammered. Rain gauges here were reading 2" a day or so. The pear tree loved it.

This rain has really set off the okra and beans, finally, and as of yesterday, very few tomatoes are showing color and I haven't seen the splits I was expecting. Tomatoes seem very late. Cherry tomatoes of course are being picked, but typically by July 15 or so we have the first BLTs and by now we are making sauce. Not so this year due to delayed season and maybe my youngish transplants.

At the comm garden many gardeners stopped showing up to water this week, so now weeds and all are getting tall. I picked one big beef with color yesterday but it is firm and I'd rather not start out with a bad one, so it's on the counter. I counted last week and have an average of 11 nicely formed big beef per plant, 1 ft spacing, for 25 feet. Just need a few more days...or at least I keep telling myself that. The blight of course has finally not only appeared, but become rampant with the rain and humidity.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg july26runningLATE.jpg (558.2 KB, 43 views)
JRinPA is offline   Reply With Quote