View Single Post
Old August 18, 2018   #11
Keen101
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbardo View Post
When most people say wild tomato I think they mean growing without any human intervention. The ones found outside of south and central america are probably all still descended from domesticated solanum lycopersicum. So they are more like feral than wild but i think thats what carolyn means by landraces, populations that are self sustaining and adapted to a location.

Truly wild undomesticated species are from south and central america used in breeding for things like disease resistance, but most of them are hard to cross with donesticated tomato. Those are solanum pimpinellifolium, s peruvianum, s chilense, s galapagense, and a handful of others.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I realize that the OP was probably talking about feral tomatoes rather than truly wild tomato species, so my reply is probably not relevant. But regardless, i have started a wiki of my own to collect pictures and information regarding how to identify wild tomato species. They are all really unique and awesome! I am trying to only use photos that are already in the public domain or my own photos from my garden, or those given to me through permission.

Here is an example of an awesome photo i took this week of a Solanum peruvianum plant in my garden! Notice the awesome and unique leaf shape and silvery shade of the leaf color and the awesomely bold bright yellow showy flowers! I still need to add it to my wiki.

https://biolumo.com/index.php?title=...num_peruvianum

Keen101 is offline   Reply With Quote