View Single Post
Old August 22, 2018   #79
bower
Tomatovillian™

It's definitely good to set a goal and meet it by your efforts. But it doesn't get real for me unless I keep a record of the hours of work and at least know, what am I making as an hourly wage.
Not that I wouldn't do it for a low wage, if it allowed me to meet a goal as in your case. No problem with that. But being mostly self employed for many many years and in diverse business, I learned that I need to know what wage I'm making for the hour of work. It's all too easy to leave things out, but then when it comes to scale up time, you find your hours are already completely filled with things that you didn't count...

There are things I do that barely meet material costs (tomatoes comes to mind) - I do it anyway if it fulfills other values, but I am aware that the hours I spend are worth $0 or close to it. This makes me wonder, what would it take for this to be financially viable in hourly wage terms.

I really like growing garlic and would take it on as a money making venture in a heartbeat if the opportunity was there. But being such a stickler for the economic facts, I would add it all up at the end of the year, to figure out what I got paid per hour, how much it cost me to produce the seed for next year, etc. And I would probably keep doing it for a ridiculous wage because I enjoy it, but I would be thinking about ways to make it pay better....

PH, your selling price is really low, it is what we pay for the chinese stuff in the supermarket. But OTOH, a low price point can move a lot of volume quick!!
bower is offline   Reply With Quote