View Single Post
Old September 9, 2018   #15
e.thad
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by fonseca View Post
It's not about saving a few bucks, it's about exploring the genetics and maybe discovering something awesome.

It's a hobby.
Right ... it's not about saving money on Sungold seeds. For me, it's about saving money on Nectar seeds ($3.95 + shipping for 10 seeds).

I'm shooting for a very sweet OP cherry that's a different color than Sungold, not an OP version of Sungold - which seems next to impossible. You'd have to grow thousands of plants (or get really lucky) to get the same exact combination of traits that Sungold F1 has.

I guess the real prize, for me, would be to come up with something that has the best characteristics of Sungold but with a different, one-of-a-kind taste profile.

So, I think my course of action will be to cross Sungold (or maybe an Ambrosia) with something that has other desirable taste characteristics (like Brandywine). Ultimately, if I could come up with something that combined super sweetness, with a complex taste, and an unusual shape/color, it would be really cool. Could you imagine a taste like that, that was maybe deeply striped blue and white? And maybe had an unusual shape? Now that would be really awesome!
e.thad is offline   Reply With Quote