View Single Post
Old September 20, 2018   #2
Koala Doug
Tomatovillian™

I also get very limited amounts of direct sun - I get almost five hours in the spring, but that continually drops to about three hours by early September. I feel your pain.

But you can grow tasty tomatoes with limited light. It's not ideal, but some of us have no other choice. Even Craig LeHoullier has limited light in his driveway garden (not as limited as you or I, but still less than what is considered 'ideal').

Since you can't control the amount of direct sunlight, focus on what you can control: Nutrients, PH, growing medium, etc.

I've never found a tomato that I couldn't grow in my adverse conditions. But some years Mother Nature wrecks our best laid plans. For me, this year has been the worst in memory as we had a terrible heatwave for three straight weeks in July. Those flower blossoms that didn't fall off (and a ton did), actually pollinated, and made it all the way to the breaker stage, were not very good tasting. Some recovery has happened, but this is just going to go down as an 'off year'. These type of climatic conditions happen sometimes... nothing anyone can do about it but to try again next season.

Koala Doug is offline   Reply With Quote