Thread: Fall tomatoes
View Single Post
Old September 21, 2018   #4
b54red
Tomatovillian™

My best producers this fall or late summer have been ISPL, Gary O' Sena, Arkansas Traveler, Limbaugh's Legacy, and Spudakee. I have not had much trouble getting fruit set this year even though the temps have been mercilessly hot with nights staying in the 80's the past week or two but surprisingly the plants have new little greenies every day. I have been very good about keeping them watered in this heat. For the past two weeks I have been watering in the morning and then again at night every other day. If I wait longer between watering lately the blooms just drop off. My plants are heavily mulched with cypress mulch. I have been plagued with foliage and fruit worms the past two weeks and finally broke down and sprayed them with Sevin two days ago since the BT just wasn't doing the trick. I am also losing any tomato that gets the slightest red on it to birds and squirrels. I am keeping water in my bird bath but I guess they like tomato juice better so they are getting picked and put on the screened porch as soon as the slightest blush appears. If we got a little steady rain for a day or two the birds might let up.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote