Thread: Pole Beans
View Single Post
Old August 25, 2007   #22
Ruth_10
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adenn1 View Post
Missouri Wonder won't be back...flavor for me okay...but I found it quickly develops strings even at a smaller size. McCaslan is good as always and I do like Blue Lake. Rattlesnake this year is also having a tendency to produce stirngs...something I did not find to be true the last couple of years.

Next year I want to try Fortex and some other new ones...guess I have the winter to look the catalogs over.
We tried Missouri Wonder in 2006 and it didn't do well, though, in all fairness, none of the beans did that well. I also grew Rattlesnake last year and it was nothing special. Maybe I should try it again, given the poor weather conditions. This year our main croppers were Blue Lake and Kentucky Blue. The Kentucky Blue had some strings but were earlier than the Blue Lake. For us, Blue Lake are the ones to beat. Both had very good flavor.

I think you will like Fortex. I've grown them for three years now and always enjoyed the beans. The plants do not seem to me to be fully poles--more like three-quarters.

New to us this year were Brown Speckled Greasy beans. I can't say I've developed a taste yet for shelly-type beans.

Some say the glass half-full. Others say the glass is half-empty. To an engineer, it’s twice as big as it needs to be.
Ruth_10 is offline   Reply With Quote