Thread: Pole Beans
View Single Post
Old August 25, 2007   #23
Zana
Tomatovillian™

Ok, first of all my stuff was all late in getting planted. So am quite late to have ripe stuff. However, I've been able to pick about a pound of the Waterloo County Mennonite Pole Bean so far. Just wanted a nibble. Going to grow most for seed this year, so other than the occasional nibble, I won't be picking more til the seed is mature.
Uncle Steve's Italian Pole Bean has some that are now about 1 to 2 inches long. I expect I should be able to try some within the week.
Kentucky Wonder is in flower, as is the Dixie Speckled Butterpea (okay not a pole, but still late). The Christmas Pole Lima Bean is about to get pulled. Something has been devouring them....and they're so stunted they're not worth the space they're taking up.
So far, I'd have to say the WCMPB and Uncle Steve's Italian are producing the most, but days are early yet. But judging on past experience, my first year growing the WCMPB, I planted 6 plants and must've harvested close to 40lbs of beans! Not too shabby....and quite tasty to boot. I may just limit myself to the two next year, that is if I've got anywhere to plant them. Sighhhhh... That's one of the reasons I want to grow out for seed this year.
Zana is offline   Reply With Quote