View Single Post
Old October 7, 2018   #7
b54red
Tomatovillian™

I haven't done a good soil test recently because the past few have shown my soil was very high in phosphorus and slightly too low in potash. They also showed an elevated ph which I have brought down to a very good range in the last few years. Now that my ph is in a good range I plan to have a thorough soil test soon. Despite what my soil test have shown my garden has performed and produced at an astonishing rate with some improvement with the lowering of the ph.

Over the past 20 or so years it has been an increasingly difficult problem raising my K levels as they seem to lower each and every year. I have used greensand, commercial potash and fertilizers with higher K values yet my potassium levels never get to above the low amount when soil tests are done. I know it leaches out with rain and we do get a fair amount most of the year and I have nothing but raised beds which may account for more leaching from rain and watering. The wood ashes seemed to me to be a good way to get a decent amount of potash to the roots of existing plants quickly. Since peppers are the only plants to be receiving regular doses of the ashes and I will be rotating my beds for peppers each year maybe I won't have any problems but time will tell. I do know that greensand is extremely expensive and it takes a huge amount of it to get any results. The commercial high K fertilizers contain a lot of salts which I know are not good for plants long term. I'm hoping the ashes will be a happy medium to supplying some potassium to my peppers which obviously need it for maximum production.

I have not used the Epsom salts on anything but peppers and though my soil tests have shown plenty of magnesium the pepper plants must be receiving some benefit. I just have to believe my own eyes. Of course if I see any bad results from this experiment I will stop doing it but for now I think it deserves at least another season of trying it. Since I add peat and cottonseed meal to my beds every year and both are very low ph products maybe there will be no raising of the ph from the ashes.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote