View Single Post
Old October 26, 2018   #1
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Default Tomato Lighting Time

This is starting them from seed and growing them inside until plant out time. Over the years here at Tomatoville - I have read a lot of opinions and advice on how long to keep your tomato plants under lights, and why it is important for the plants to get some dark time as well. I have seen every year that I have started tomato seeds inside - that there is a whole lot of growth while those lights are off.

I want to try something different in late January - (My tomato seed starting time.) I'm thinking of using the lights on for 12 hours and then dark for 12 hours. My reasons for trying this schedule are from experience, but I can also see this lighting schedule fitting with people's routines as well. We're told that we need 8 hours of sleep. That's 8 of those 12 hours of darkness. I know that some people work at night and sleep in the day. This lighting schedule would still work. Plants growing inside do not know when the sun is shining if you are growing them with lights.

I left a whole lot out - especially why it's important for the plants to get dark time. It's almost 2am, and I've tried everything else to get sleepy. I thought that maybe if I read some threads here - that reading would help, but it actually kept me awake. So here I am writing, and finally something is working.

What do you think about the 12 on - 12 off lighting schedule?

Last edited by AlittleSalt; October 26, 2018 at 03:11 AM. Reason: Word order correction
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote