View Single Post
Old November 4, 2018   #10
korney19
Buffalo-Niagara Tomato TasteFest™ Co-Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoose View Post
I have a mystery tomato I would like to dry and use next year. What are the tricks to be successful?
To save the seeds from it to grow next year, cut a tomato in half, about half-way between the top & bottom (like the equator) and squeeze the seeds & juice into a cup. Let the cup sit for a few days until the seeds sink to the bottom and the top forms a white scum coating. After day 3 or so, the seeds should be sunk to the bottom (it helps using a clear plastic cup!); this is where I bring the cups into the bathroom and have the toilet seat up!

Pour off the scum. Add water to the cup rapidly though not to overfill it but just to get the seeds to swirl in the cup and pour off any other floating scum or tomato flesh particles or pieces.

I do this 2 or 3 times. Then I get the seeds swirling around again and quickly pour everything into a small strainer. Double-check the container or cup for any seeds that didn't make it into the strainer. You may need to get them moving so they get dumped into the strainer.

Here is where some folks differ on the next step. I run them under hot water, not over 125 degrees F. I also add a dab of toothpaste or anti-bacterial soap to the seeds in the strainer, and massage it in/on the seeds. If using toothpaste, try for one that is not a clear gel but rather a solid paste like the old days. (UltraBrite, etc.) Once well coated, I do a final rinse. THEN, I empty the seeds into my hand and firmly squeeze the seeds to remove the remaining water.

Finally, I spread them out on a piece of coffee filter or a sheet of paper towel. I let them dry a bit, transfer to a new sheet of paper towel and then roll up the paper towel, fold the 2 ends into the center, fold again, then label them with a Sharpie marker. I let them continue to dry on the hamper a couple days before storing them.

It's important that you really give them a good squeeze before putting them on the coffee filter papers or paper towels. During the temporary drying time on the paper towels, inspect the seeds to insure none have sprouted. Sometimes they sprout if you leave them fermenting longer than 3 or 4 days. Also, if doing many varieties, check the paper towels before each variety to insure you have no stray seeds from a previous variety.

This is how I usually save seeds. Only differences are if the tomato is rotting, sometimes I put the whole tomato into the cup and try to remove the skin if possible, otherwise everything else is the same. On tiny currant-size tomatoes, I use an old-style potato masher in a clear quart tall container, mash them, then the skins usually float after a couple days, so they can be removed.

I ended up buying 2 different clear plastic cups that use the same lid, I think one is 9oz and the other is 16oz. That handles at least a few tomatoes per cup or lots of cherry toms, and the lid already has a " + " cut for a straw, which lets any gas escape while keeping fruitflies out. Critters too.

Hope this helps!
korney19 is offline   Reply With Quote