Thread: BAD SQUASH YEAR
View Single Post
Old November 5, 2018   #14
b54red
Tomatovillian™

I have never run into that problem with all my squash in a season. I have however had it happen to several varieties in the past so I no longer plant them. The variety that has done the absolute best for me is a yellow zucchini named Butta. It is so productive that I have reduced the number of plants that I set out every year for the past three years so I don't have to spend so much time giving it away. As to cucumbers the most dependable varieties I have found are Sweet Success, Tender Jade and Orient Express. I had a bumper crop of cucumbers and squash this past summer as well as a good crop of fall cucumbers until the hurricane destroyed them.

I have found a few tricks that help a great deal with these type plants. The first is to use a good heavy mulch and I use cypress mulch. The second is to use Urban Farms Vegetable formula weekly as a fertilizer. For both crops use a copper spray or a mild diluted bleach spray to keep mildews at bay. For cucumbers always give them a tall fence to run on. For squash keep the lower stem coated with a bit of Sevin dust to prevent SVBs. Keep an eye out for squash bugs and kill them immediately if you see them. Grow some basil plants to encourage bees into your garden and be careful if you need to use any pesticide to spray late in the evening to avoid killing bees.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote