View Single Post
Old November 22, 2018   #153
maxjohnson
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenthumbomaha View Post
I gave up! I've not been able to grow Romanesco. The head that formed was about the size of a quarter. Cauliflower is very difficult for me to grow here too. In a "normal" spring it heats up quickly. The heads turn brown and are flat with a weird texture, not round and plump like in the grocery. They are not fun to eat and look about ready to spoil ! I think my cauliflower seeds might be too old to send to the swap, but if anyone is interested in experimenting I can send several varieties direct.

I have seen Romanesco sold at a farmers market, but just once and by one vendor. They were perfectly formed, but so small that they could fit in the palm of my hand, and I've got very small hands!

Good luck with your trials!

- Lisa
The Puntoverde F1 variety I grew wasn't successful in Florida. But I got a decent size head growing in Ohio for the first time from July and harvested in late October, which I believe is late for Ohio. Should started at least a month earlier I think. A few of the late ones are still alive despite 30*F nights lately. The plant isn't 'very large' compared to the regular romanesco. Worth a try if you don't mind paying $8 + shipping for 50 seeds.

I baked it with olive oil and sea salt. Very buttery with a hint of sweetness. Actually because of the cool weather here, even raw celery taste delicious to me coming from Florida.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20181006_155412.jpg (233.3 KB, 166 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20181026_202416.jpg (219.7 KB, 174 views)
maxjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote