View Single Post
Old December 9, 2018   #27
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

After two cold almost constant rainy days, I have researched peppers to grow in 2019. As I've already written, none of these varieties are as hot as grocery store Jalapenos. I can buy those all day for under a dollar. I will share the interesting parts of my site reading/research:

Alma Paprika - matures from white to orange to red. White has almost no heat, and the redder they get - the hotter they are 0-2,000 Scoville Units.
NuMex Garnet Paprika. I'm interested in comparing the two Paprika varieties fresh and ground into paprika.

Anaheim - I have the seeds and they are fun to grow 500-2,500 Scoville Units.
Fooled You F1 and F2 - What started this thread.
Banana Peppers (Sweet) - I've already written about them in this thread.
Jimmy Nardello - an Italian frying pepper that some will tell you they are among the best.
Cubanelle - some sites say they taste better than bell peppers. I've read that are very popular in Cuban cuisine
Pinot Noir F1 - a strange colored good tasting bell pepper that we have really enjoyed growing and eating them.
Candy Cane Red F1 - a bell pepper that my wife wants us to grow. (What better reason?)
Red Cherry, I've grown these in ground. It took me years to find them (Ones that aren't hot) I remember these from when I was a young child. I love them pickled and fresh.
Pretty N Sweet F1. This one intrigues me the most. I have not grown it yet, but this one from countless sites says it's an ornamental that is edible. Good eaten fresh or fried. Every site looks just like the one before with a slight changing of word orders. Some sites called them Ornamedibles. The site I'm ordering them from says they can grow in 6 inch pots.

To me, most peppers are ornamental because they have color in the garden for so long here. I am interested in varieties that can grow in different sized pots - especially in 10 inch and smaller sized pots.

When starting this thread, I was looking for 3 or 4 varieties of peppers to grow in 2019. Gardening is fun and enticing - you want to try it all. This coming year is about growing some not so hot varieties for our friends and family, but I want to learn along the way. I'm glad I started this thread because gardening is also inspirational. I can even see some carpentry involved - cases to hold those pots to be able to move them around when needed.

Last edited by AlittleSalt; December 9, 2018 at 12:37 AM.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote