View Single Post
Old December 18, 2018   #12
HudsonValley
Tomatovillian™

I love saladettes/cocktail tomatoes! Jaune Flamme, Pink Ping Pong, Nefertiti, and Kodiak Brown are a few of my faves. Pink Ping Pong is the most productive for me and can grow quite large, but the others weren't far behind in terms of yield. I'm looking for a green one and a red one (other than Stupice) for next year, so I might see if Green Zebra and Chinese Tea fit the bill. My parents really liked Chinese Tea, and a friend recommended Green Zebra. A white one would be good, too, but I don't know of any stellar varieties. (Super Snow White was surprisingly tasty, but it's a large cherry, not a saladette.) I have read good reviews of Matina, a PL variety, but haven't tried it yet.

I'll be interested to see what becomes of your "mistake," Fred! I'm also trying to develop a saladette -- it's a bee-cross from Brandywine, Sudduth's that I knew was wrong as a seedling (RL), but it looked so healthy that I found it a spot. So far, it's thrown purple and pink saladettes on RL plants, and small but early pink beefsteaks on PL plants. All taste good so far. I have a sneaking suspicion that the other "parent" was a black cherry tomato...

I've seen "cocktail" used on European sites (mostly German ones) to refer to saladettes, but I'm no expert on tomato labels!
HudsonValley is offline   Reply With Quote