View Single Post
Old January 18, 2019   #22
SQWIBB
Tomatovillian™

January 15th, 2019

Not a whole lot going on in the grow room, just watering every day, tweaking the temperature and shuffling plants around. I'm trying to get the temps to stay between 66°F and 76°F. This is proving to be a bit difficult heating a garage with one of those oil type radiator heaters with a dial control.

It has been nice eating lettuce the last few days, the romaine seems to be fine uncovered in the fridge for about 4 days.

The new potting mix seems to be fine so far.

January 16th, 2019

I have been happy with the latest Romaine, I think it likes the floor a little better.

I have been trying to tweak the temps between 66°F and 76°F but I am having a hell of a time, seems when I lower the temperature setting on the heater, the swing in temp between high and low increases. It could be drafting issues as well.

I decided to change up a few things in the grow room, well actually, REDESIGN the entire thing. First off, I'm going to run the grow lights at night and have them off during the day.

They will run 6:00pm - 10:00am. They're currently running 6:00am - 10:00pm. Hopefully this will reduce the temp swing a bit as the day times are usually warmer.

Secondly I also ordered a grow tent and of course had to get an exhaust fan, I'm just hoping that hooking up the exhaust fan to one port will be enough to have a negative pressure in the tent. I am not too worried about intake and exhaust because I mainly wanted to get a tent for the reflective material, my original plan was to hang Panda Film but figured that the cost of the Panda film would be near as much as a grow tent and be a hassle trying to figure out how to hang it, heck, who am I kidding, cost never entered my mind.

So if ventilation and/or humidity become a problem and the exhaust fan doesn't work adequately, I'll leave the front of the tent completely open. The tent will at the least reduce drafting and increase the led lights effectiveness.

Third, since I ordered the tent I also ordered a mini Oil Heater for the tent, I'm hoping by using the oil heater, I can place a pan of water on top of the heater and ditch the humidifier, that is of course if I seal the tent entirely.

So my project this weekend is to clear some room for the tent and it is going to be freak'n tight!!.

January 17th, 2019

Parsley filled out a bit

Potting mix seems OK, hasn't killed anything yet

The lights seem adequate for now, I have them 24" above the canopy.

Romaine from yesterday, very pleased.

I was pretty psyched after work today, I made a quick Roast Beef wrap and headed down to the grow room. I cleaned up a bit and starting throwing out stuff to make room for the tent. I'm going to have to make a few sacrifices and modifications to get this to work and it will be real tight, especially accessing the greens table and when I start my seedlings in February, however, I am optimistic. I have a couple ideas on how to access and setup the greens/seedling table with the tent in front of it.

I watered the plants and set the light timers and fan to run at night, I also tweaked the humidifier for 6 hours when the lights are on.
SQWIBB is offline   Reply With Quote