View Single Post
Old February 22, 2019   #74
jtjmartin
Tomatovillian™

Scion / Rootstock Seed Timing

Rootstock is relatively expensive compared to the thousands of tomato seeds I have, so I seed a lot more scion that rootstock. I'll start some heirlooms a week before I plant my first RST rootstock and continue to sow some of the heirloom seeds every few days.

Because of MMMM, Marsha and the other T-Villers I usually have a lot more varieties that I want to grow than space to grow them.

Germination times vary so much. I planted Aswad eggplant seeds this year along with 5 other varieties. All my Aswad seeds have germinated but none of the others yet. Why? Newer seed?

OTOH, I'm growing Summer Cider tomatoes. Most of those seeds sprouted last week but this morning I noticed that I have another Summer Cider popping out of the soil. I'm not sure that there is a perfect formula year to year.

NESeeds

It was troubling to me that it seems that they just didn't get any RST-04-106 in this year. I called and asked - they would only say that they were sold out. They didn't have a reason why. I did get the 105 as backup before they sold out.

The RST-04-105 emerge from the soil a lot thinner than the 106. I'm using both this year against bacterial wilt and will track their progress.

Jeff
jtjmartin is offline   Reply With Quote