View Single Post
Old March 28, 2019   #18
MdTNGrdner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatgardens View Post
Thanks for the idea & pix! I like your idea, and think I'll try a milk jug in my 10-gallon gro-bags.

The gallon jug only has holes at the shoulder (none at the bottom)? So in order for the jug to provide moisture between waterings, the plants roots must grow into the holes?

If possible, could you post a pic of the jug with its holes? (Trying to get an idea of how large/how many).

You're welcome! I can't take credit for the idea but I hope it helps some gardeners out there - for us they're simple and we already had most of the materials on hand. Nice pics SQUIBB and Scooty by the way!

Some roots will grow into the milk jug but others spread out in the bucket. Just plant somewhere over the "holes" area so they can reach it soonest. I've read container info over the years that make it seem that the roots in the water would drown, rot, and make the plants ill but I've not seen that happen in three seasons so .... ?? YMMV When you're pulling the plant you'll see roots going everywhere, it's pretty cool. Maybe it would be a problem if it was more long-term? I don't know.

It seems that grow bags would work similarly, and I think the extra volume would be even better for the plants and might allow extra yield.

The pictures below show the milk jug uncovered and then I pulled the PVC out to show that part. Really simple.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_7240.jpg (633.3 KB, 79 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7245.jpg (716.4 KB, 79 views)