View Single Post
Old April 19, 2019   #82
Scooty
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by JosephineRose View Post
That's interesting. I followed the links and the pictures are no longer available.

However, if true, I found Sweet Treats F1 available at Fedco right now, for those who are interested.
The first mention in the entirety of the internet of "Japanese Pink Cherry" (that I could find) is in 2011 on Tomatoville by DavidP. It was then mentioned in 2014 by patty_b. From what I can follow in old threads, ALittleSalt grew out in 2015 for the 2016 MMMM, and that seed came from patty_b originally.

I'm not sure where Steve Goto's list from Roger's Garden comes into the mix. That was published in 2016, but the "Japanese Pink Cherry" was grown out earlier by Steve in the summer of 2014 (mentioned in an LA times on Roger's Garden tomato tasting).

The other possibility by name is a smaller version of "Japanese Pink" listed by Delectation of Tomatoes (like Ron did with Carbon Copy), but this seems less likely since JP was listed in 2013.

If I remember correctly, Sweet Treats was released in 2009 or 2010 in Japan. It was available in the US in 2010. The timeline matches up better than JP.

This makes sense to me also because someone probably just labeled it for market with a different name than the breeder; either saving seed and bringing it back from Japan or picking up seed from grocery store pack in the US with a different name (like Mitsuwa). Example would be Santa's Sweet. This actually goes by another name domestically in Japan and Taiwan. The breeder doesn't even call it that when you do a direct translation from the native language.

Last edited by Scooty; April 19, 2019 at 06:12 PM.
Scooty is offline   Reply With Quote