View Single Post
Old May 19, 2019   #5
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™

Last summer I purchased a Bok Choy plant at an end of June garden center closing sale for a dime, and it grew and grew and never bolted. I ended up giving it to a visitor and she said she never saw one that large. It inspired me to buy seeds for this from Baker Creek Seeds:
Chirimen Hakusai - Chinese Cabbage
I have two plants with just a few leaves on each. It is still tender. Flavor unremarkable, but I'll take it over store bought.

I started an empty 4X4 raised bed with lettuces last night. One row was only Yugoslavian Red and another was Black Seeded Simpson. For the remaining rows, I gathered all my older lettuce seed and combined three varieties into one package and made a few rows of each combination. I watered it in very well in lieu of soaking the seed overnight. We ended up getting over two inches of heavy rain in the middle of the night. More rain to follow tomorrow night.

Here is the raised bed on the north side of my house that is out of tomato rotation this year, I have a row of 4 beds but only three have the covers :
Attached Images
File Type: jpg lettuce raised bed.JPG (162.1 KB, 175 views)
greenthumbomaha is offline   Reply With Quote