View Single Post
Old June 7, 2019   #339
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooksville View Post
About to pull 2 more, a Margaret Curtain and BPTD. Both have fruits about to blush, so I think we are going to wait for the first clusters to break color and pull both the plants and fruit.

John
John, if the plant is still fairly healthy looking and holding on then just leave it until it wilts. I have done this numerous times and seen no increase in TSWV. I had two plants with it one year a Brandywine Cowlick's and a Wes that survived for over two months and continued to produce usable tomatoes. If a plant is young or has no fruit near full growth then I just go ahead and pull the plant as soon as I am sure it is infected.

I haven't had another case of TSWV since the Henderson's Winsall but I am sure from past experience I will have more before the season ends but that is just part of growing tomatoes down here. I try to make sure that I have more plants than I need and live with the loses. I have never lost more than about 30 to 40 % of my plants in a year and that was a really bad year. I hope I never see another that bad because I plant far less tomatoes now than I did back then.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote