View Single Post
Old June 30, 2019   #8
brownrexx
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenthumbomaha View Post
That is a very nice set up brownrex, and I think I have seen that photo or something similar in another thread. I tried to save a step and used a frost blanket but the plants didn't seem to be heading so I switched to this insect fabric. I switched to tulle after the fabric was shredded by hail. There were times where everything blew off, hence the invasion of the white butterfly.
It appears that your covering was not weighted down and that there were gaps allowing pests to enter under the cover. Note that I hold mine down with bricks.

I grow nice, bug free cabbage and cauliflower using this method. I do use organic slug baits but no bt because if you keep the butterflies out with a cover then there will be no worms to kill with bt.

These are this year's cabbages:

20190607_192047 by Brownrexx, on Flickr

and a cauliflower from last year.

DSC00663 by Brownrexx, on Flickr

bower I use a craft type fabric that is sold in the bridal veil department of fabric stores. It comes in many colors but I like green. It is fairly cheap and durable if you are careful with it. I have torn holes in it when it gets hooked on my wire support but then I took a needle and thread and repaired the tear. The fabric that I am currently using is about 4 years old and I like it better than the floating row covers because I can see through it and watch over my plants. It also allows more water and light through. Tulle would be a fabric with smaller holes but the holes in the stuff I use are small enough to exclude cabbage butterflies. They would not exclude aphids but I don't have any trouble with those.
brownrexx is offline   Reply With Quote