View Single Post
Old September 16, 2007   #18
MargeH
Tomatovillian™

I grew Sun King last fall. It was one of my last varieties to set fruit. That may have been because it was in a semi-shaded spot. I did get some tomatoes from it and it didn't show signs of the virus. I didn't think it's taste was anything special. If you aren't showing real signs of TYLC and you are limited in the number of plants that you can grow, I'm not sure that I would recommend it. There are so many better tasting tomatoes out there.

Even as bad as the virus has been here, I am not ready to give up and plant just the varieties that show some resistance. I am trying two more right now, but they are modern hybrids bred for the growers, so I am not expecting great flavor from them

I started my first batch of seeds last year between Christmas and New Year's and a second the first week of January. I set most of my plants out the second week of February.

You are enough north of me that you might want to wait a couple of weeks later. I grow in pots and had to bring them in for a couple of nights the middle of February. I know that growers in this area lost plants during that cold spell.

___
Marjorie
MargeH is offline   Reply With Quote