Thread: Eggplants 2019
View Single Post
Old July 16, 2019   #25
Zeedman
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by zipcode View Post
How is Diamond in terms of growth in colder times? Everywhere I see how it's supposed to the the standard for outside growing an I was thinking of trying it.
Diamond has done really well for me in Wisconsin, planted in the ground. It is one of the few that doesn't seem to mind the mid-summer cool streaks. Most other varieties I've tried succumb to the wilt that follows. It is highly productive, and has a fairly strong flavor. Did really well in pots one year too... very dependable.

Was supposed to grow Diamond this year. Unfortunately, this was the wettest start to the season I can remember, and my rural garden - where I grow the majority of my vegetables - could not be planted.

I am growing Gretel for the second time, mostly in pots. It really impressed me last year with its productivity, and its slowness to develop seeds. Like most white eggplant, the flavor is very mild; but personally, I like that. It absorbs the flavors of anything it is cooked with. The plants are covered in blooms right now, wish I could post a photo... no hosting service since PB locked out their free service.
Zeedman is offline   Reply With Quote