Thread: Garlic 2019
View Single Post
Old July 20, 2019   #67
bjbebs
Tomatovillian™

Everyone's garlic looks great. Big, small or otherwise if it tastes good and stores well thats what were after. Lifted the tarp on my home garlic for a couple pics. Close to 300 bulbs were dug about about a week ago. Dried outside on a wire rack with fairly good air movement. These will be cleaned up in 8-10 days and go inside a cool basement room to cure.

I spent the last three days harvesting my market garlic. Quite the job in 90 plus degree heat for a one man crew. If it weren't for a modified ripper on a tractor I couldn't do it myself. It looks as though 500 lbs. will go to the two venders I sell to, plus next years seed. This is also dried slowly outside on the north side of a machine shed. It takes 6 or 7 weeks to get the garlic crated and sold. One trip to the big city and I'm done. The buyers appreciate garlic that tastes good and stores for many months. They sell to select restaurants but also keep large amounts for personel use.

PH, I understand why you opt for a quick dry and cure. I'm too old school to change my ways. 30 plus years of growing this unknown hardneck tells me long term storage can't be achieved by getting in a hurry.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190720_121035.jpg (574.2 KB, 109 views)
File Type: jpg 20190720_120817.jpg (538.5 KB, 108 views)
bjbebs is offline   Reply With Quote