View Single Post
Old August 26, 2019   #70
SQWIBB
Tomatovillian™

August 26th, 2019

My Kohlrabi sprouted and hopefully they will be taller than the cover crop and I will get them in the ground in a few weeks

My Beets in the "Root Bed" are growing very slowly.

The lettuces in the side Hugelkultur bed are coming along nicely, I reseeded the bed again Saturday with some Mustard greens and other lettuces, I am hoping to have a salad garden this year.

The potted Eggplants are all doing well.

All the fruit trees are growing nicely, my only problem tree so far is the Espalier Pear tree, it doesn't look good. The pomegranate finally started growing.

The Okra plants out front in the Hugelkultur bed by the pond are looking like trees!

A lot of the pepper plants are starting to take off.

Tossed out my Lacto-Pepperoncini, they were nasty, I think I put too many bay leaves in. I picked some more and just tossed in some old pickle brine.

My Egyptian walking onions came in so I planted them in two places.

The herb garden is doing better than I would have expected, I am really pleased with the Bunching onions, Laura uses a lot of Green onions/Scallions in recipes and has been using these instead.

I had a little surprise cantaloupe hanging from the deck and after closer inspection found a couple more problem bugs. The borax/sugar mix I put around the Okra, Peppers and Tomatoes really knocked down the ants quite a bit, it took a week to really notice. I'll try to be more proactive next year. I also found a lot of Aphids and a few Mealy bugs on the Apple trees.

Finally got some serious time in the garden since the weather was cool.
I removed a few tomato plants, and a lot of the lower and diseased leaves. The Kosova was completely dead. I really trimmed the tomato plants savagely and lost a lot of green tomatoes. The tomato plants are still setting fruit and growing like crazy at the tops. The Big Beef and Beefmaster tomato plants on the hill are now over 10' tall.

Thinned out the beds for the cover crop, I am under-cropping in some areas because I still have some things that look good.

I decided to leave the three eggplant plants on the hill as a test, the Black Beauty has really started growing with a lot of blooms.

A lot of the tomatoes cracked at the top earlier in the month, most of them had been picked, but now the fruit looks good.

Since I turned off the water to the beds in the back yard and only slightly water the cover crop with a watering can, the plants are on their own. The lines to all of the potted plants, the okra, the sweet potatoes and the line on the back hill by the fence are still on.

The cantaloupe are getting bigger but the plant is getting a powdery mildew much like the butternut squash.

It was time for us to say goodbye to Gus the duck, he went to his new home Saturday.

The crayfish seem to be holding their own with the Red Eared Sliders. I'm surprised they lasted this long, the sliders can be pretty vicious.

SQWIBB is offline   Reply With Quote