Thread: Coco Coir?
View Single Post
Old August 26, 2019   #60
kilroyscarnival
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barb_FL View Post
Will do; I hope other's that season is peaking will chime in.

Here's some stuff I bought to try:

Rice Hulls - alternative to Perlite????

Coir Grow Slabs - Fibredust brands - all were delivered broken; but I'm thinking that once hydrated they should coagulate.

Fibredust grow cubes

3 bags each of Happy Frog and Coco Loco, plus a free 3 CU bag of Ko Ko Bop (promotion for spending $)

A couple of Rockwool slabs and the tray.

A few more Rockwool grow cubes - I used the 6" cube and grew a great SunOrange plant.

Lots of coir - different kinds, plus the Root Organics Coco Chips to try to make my own mix without perlite. I even bought 2 more cubes of the wonder soil when it was on sale at Homedepot.

3 bales of ProMix - (I always use this, but began mixing with coir last season)

I love to experiment.
Interesting list. I bought a couple of compressed bricks of coconut coir locally. Most of the box stores don't have it or have it only in a mix. A hydroponics (etc) store in nearby Winter Park called Root Grow Bloom has different types of coco coir.

We picked up a lemon tree over the weekend on travels in Lake County (FL) at a nursery (and an avocado.) I think we'll have to dig out a big area for the trees and fill with plenty of improved soil, so might have to resort to peat just based on bulk quantity readily available, but I'd like to mix some coir in if it's going to help keep the soil light and moist.

I've been watching YouTube videos from a guy in Australia under the banner "Self-Sufficient Me." He's near Brisbane, and I think his zone is about 9 or 10, so similar to ours in Central Florida. The thing that he uses a lot of that I wondered about is sugar cane as mulch. You'd think Florida would be awash in used sugar cane and the mulch would be plentiful. A little research yielded that the growers simply burn it in the fields, but cited other countries' practices of using it for mulch. https://civileats.com/2019/07/15/bur...ange-the-game/

Sorry, a little off topic.
kilroyscarnival is offline   Reply With Quote