View Single Post
Old September 4, 2019   #74
SQWIBB
Tomatovillian™

September 3rd, 2019

The Okra is still chugging along.

Pomegranate tree is showing some decent growth.

Salad Garden is coming along very slowly, I cut back the Passion Flower, Cucumber and tomato plants to get a bit more sun here.

The front gardens are doing well. Leeks

No figs on my Celeste fig.

The herb garden is growing nicely.

Although the Okra did extremely well in the herb garden, I'm not sure if I'll grow the Okra here next year, this will be a dedicated herb garden.

The pond plants are doing well. I let some of the plants get away from me.

The Rosa Bianca has seen better days.

The cover crops are coming in nicely.

I'll be tearing out the Okra this week and putting in the Kohlrabi.

Still freezing Okra and Tomatoes.

Picked up 12 bags of mulch, I usually get wood-chips from the recycle center but last time I was there they had didn't have any and I didn't feel like driving through the city hoping there would be some this time.
$2.00 a bag, not a bad price.

My sprayers came in so I mixed a batch of spray to combat my Downy Mildew, I also sprayed the Aphids as well. One sprayer was bad so I am sending it back.

While I was spraying the cantaloupe I notice one had popped off that was in the stocking.

Not sure why it was watery, maybe over ripe? Anyhow, we had it for Breakfast and I was not impressed, the texture was awesome but it wasn't sweet. I did save the seeds.

Ooops!

I was back up in the garden and knocked loose another cantaloupe, this one doesn't look ripe from the outside but did have a nice hollow sound when tapping.

This one was actually a little better than the other one but still not sweet enough. So I'm still confused on the perfect time to pick. I'm not sure if they weren't sweet due to too much water in their last few days on the vine or the fact that the Downy mildew really did a number on the leaves?

Kohlrabi Seedlings to be transplanted this week.

If these beets grew any slower they would be growing backwards!

I tore out all the eggplants in the raised bed on the retaining wall garden and planted a cover crop.

I tore out most of the pepper plants and a beefsteak from the other raised bed.

In the back garden, the water is turned off in all the beds, the only things still on are the potted plants and the line in front of the playhouse (only because I cant reach the shutoff valve). The water lines are still on in the front gardens.

I have a ton of figs on my Celeste Fig on the deck but they get about the size of a marble and the fruit necks are starting to wilt and the fruits are starting to hang down, telling me they are ripening, but they are way too small to eat, oh well maybe in their 2nd year.

Most of the fruit trees are doing well, the only exception is the Pear tree, it is struggling.

SQWIBB is offline   Reply With Quote