View Single Post
Old September 4, 2019   #28
SQWIBB
Tomatovillian™

I had a decent amount of veggies left so I decided to pull out the schwenker and the dutch oven and make a Garden Jambalaya....nothing hot and no shrimp, or I would be the only person eating it. Not that that's a bad thing but my better half was wanting some mild Jambalaya.

• Several Hours Later, all the plants are burnt and wood has burnt to coals.

• As I chop the vegges my better half is off to the store for some Sweet Italian Sausage and some boneless chicken thighs.

• Tossed some butter in the DO

• Woohoo! Meat is here!

• Sausage is browned then the chicken is added

• Leeks are sliced and tossed in, wow what a wonderful smell these leeks have.

• Peppers are next.

• DO Is covered for each time after the initial browning of the meats and onions.

• I usually don't add eggplant to my Jambalaya. I really pamper my eggplant.

• Parsley and Oregano is next, I let the Eastern Black Swallowtails have the early parsley harvest, If I see them on the plant, it's theirs and I leave them be. The parsley is coming back pretty strong now, The parsley is fairly hardy,it will usually be kicking till about December.

• Then some tomatoes.

• Then some celery. (not from the garden). The lid is placed on the DO, I grab another beer and will let this simmer for about an hour. A tablespoon of garlic is added and a tablespoon of my Philly Style Rub.

• Looking good, 32 oz. of chicken broth is added.

• Half of a coarse chopped onion is added.

• 3 cups of white rice is rinsed multiple times then added and stirred in.

• Lid is tossed on the DO and will cook another thirty minutes.

• Raised the DO to keep it on low heat.

• The jambalaya was pretty thick so I tossed in another 32 oz. of chicken broth and the 24 oz. can of diced tomatoes.

• How did it turn out? well I can say this, It was a beautiful evening, sitting there eating my jambalaya, enjoying the bug-less cool night and the fire, sipping on an ice cold glass if Killians.

• Everyone enjoyed the Jambalaya, but If I were making this for the guys or myself, it would have been loaded with shrimp, hot sausage and a few cans of RoTel and some other hot goodies.
SQWIBB is offline   Reply With Quote