View Single Post
Old September 4, 2019   #14
kilroyscarnival
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownrexx View Post
I get my complete soil test done which included pH for $9 at Penn State so I would do that instead of buying pH paper for almost $9 and then distilled water for another dollar. Your soil pH is not going to change very quickly even if you add amendments so testing once a year is certainly adequate.
Hey, any excuse to re-visit Penn State! Just kidding. I found out earlier this year that The Diner (aka Ye Olde College Diner in my time there) is gone.

I do think my county extension offers soil testing, though. I'll look into it.

The Epic Gardening guy on YouTube demonstrated a soil test kit that offered results that looked, appearance-wise, somewhat like the genetic 23-and-Me kits, or so he said. At $28 on Amazon, "Soil Savvy" looks a bit gimmicky. But that's a whole nutrient analysis, not just pH. And I'm going to be doing mainly container/raised bed for which I'm mostly using new purchased mix (and some homemade compost). The nice thing about the packet of strips was that I could test it seasonally and make sure anything I'm adding isn't throwing the pH off a whole bunch.
kilroyscarnival is offline   Reply With Quote