Thread: MORE Eggplant!
View Single Post
Old September 20, 2019   #7
JRinPA
Tomatovillian™

I did a few big store bought plants my first year growing them, plenty of space, and didn't get many. From seed I transplant them on 15"-18" diamond spacing and pack them in. This year they are doing well 3 wide in the raised bed with drip. They always do well in the garden as well, same spacing, double rowed.

We used to fry slices breaded in skillet but at times there is an iodine taste that way. Mostly from too old I think. It could be a turn off. It was always store/farmstand eggplant too, so never nice small ones. You know, bigger is better, right? Not with eggplant. Younger is better. To truly avoid the iodine-y taste, you can grow a mild variety like Dancer. If I make a Johnny's order this year I will have to buy some again, but this year I just grew Epic and it is fine now that we know better ways to cook it. None goes to waste, unless it was a bad fruit.

Eggplant fries are way better than potato fries. In my opinion of course. Salt and rest, dip in egg/6oz milk, roll in peppered flour, oil fry 375 for 5 minutes. Found that on internet, eggplant picayune.

Parm or Lasagna, honestly I don't know the difference between them. That you can cook and freeze a whole trays for later if you have the freezer space.

If we are sick of it or overloaded, it is easily and simply pressure canned. It goes great in a vegetable soup, canning juice and all.

Lots of asian dishes if you are in to that type of cooking.

Nan you should grow some next year. Treat them like peppers regarding the timing and spring weather. If you start your own peppers you can start your own eggplant. I would not start them in the same tray though, because eggplant will likely sprout earlier. Then will get leggy on the heat mat waiting for pepper seeds to sprout. Both my eggplants and peppers got sick in the wet cold spring this year, and I had to pull bad leaves when transplanting, but they still produced well when the heat came on.

Last edited by JRinPA; September 20, 2019 at 10:49 PM.
JRinPA is offline   Reply With Quote