View Single Post
Old November 3, 2019   #43
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
You need to pick and eat them now they think it has been two years due to weather fluctuations.
Our you let them go to seed and collect the seed if they aren't hybrid.
If you catch them making a seed stalk early enough and break it off at the base they will sometimes go on to make a good bulb. If it is done too late you might as well pull it and eat it. I start looking for and breaking off those baby seed stalks as soon as the onions start swelling to make onion bulbs.

I ordered my onion seed this year from Everwilde Farms and from Sustainable Seed company as both have a good selection of short day onions. I gave up trying to grow medium day and long day onions decades ago. It was just too frustrating and the results were usually poor but some years they would do okay. My favorites now are 1015, Red Burgundy, Red Creole, White Bermuda, and Red Granex. I grow Texas Grano but I haven't had as good a result with them as with the 1015. I just love those red ones when they get big and I can put a big slice on a burger.

I start all my onions in mid October thru mid November in the greenhouse in pots of DE as it is so much easier to get the onions out when it is time to plant them out in the garden as long as I let the DE get fairly dry before removing them all at once and shaking the DE off the roots and separating them. I have a good stand right now with all my onions except from some two year old Bermuda seed which looks to have germinated at less than 50%. I have some newer ones so I will probably start some more in a week or so. I like to set Bermudas out a bit later anyway since they make the best keepers when they are only about 3 to 4 inches. If they have too long to grow they tend to get too large and the outer layers split causing many to rot in storage.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote