View Single Post
Old December 7, 2019   #10
oakley
Tomatovillian™

Lots of choices including above.

I always roast any/all bones... tossed with quartered onion, whole cut-in-half garlic
head, or three, misc crisper drawer veg like a parsnip, carrot. Tossed, rubbed in olive oil.
Roasted on a sheet pan, an hour is fine. Then simmered to make a broth/stock. 3-5
hours. Not too much water...just to barely cover. Lots of meat on those bones usually.
Southern pork neck gravy and beans. Or a nice addition to spaghetti sauce.

A Korean style broth is often simmered briefly to clarify. They call it 'cleaning of impurities' but
it isn't funky. Meant to 'clean' for a clear broth. Then roasted, then simmered for broth.
I just go straight to roasting not concerned about clarity. I suppose if a clear broth for soup is
what you want, that will do it.

I hope I'm safe from price gouging. The elder ladies in my small Italian market will have none of
that, (fingers crossed.) Bones from butchering should be cheap. That layer of added flavor is
time consuming but so worth it.

Aromatics added to the simmering broth is up to you. Bay leaves, peppercorns, whole coriander,
cumin seed. etc. Some big chunks of ginger roasted with the bones and simmered in the broth
is excellent for a brothy rice noodle or dumpling(pot sticker) soup...but weird in some veggie bean
soups, ....so I carefully label my broth/stocks for the freezer.

Stock up when you see any bones at a good price, especially the meaty ones. Freeze them. A
lousy winter weather day they can go straight from the freezer to the roasting tray for a back
burner stock without much effort.
oakley is offline   Reply With Quote