View Single Post
Old December 15, 2019   #52
JRinPA
Tomatovillian™

Last year was my first use of drip tape. I will be using more of that, including more gravity driven. Some places, I just want a way to efficiently water a row when necessary, not every day.

I think I'm going to try sweet potatoes in the raised beds. I grew my first this year in-ground but I let them go too long before digging and I think the looser soil and quicker drainage in the raised beds will help them. Half of them never got dug up at all; I figured they'll make good tillage and maybe I can get starts off of them in the spring?

I planted some late sweet corn on whim and it came in nicely. Next year I will plan it and get it in a little earlier to easily outrace the first frost. My three early plots were wonderful and I can only hope to duplicate it. This "Incredible" is very nice and reliable, but not sweet enough to incite squirrel damage. At least, that is how I read it. Unlike supersweets, this corn did not have a single ear fall victim to a varmint. Between that and excellent pollination, this was the first year we had an excess of sweet corn to freeze, and it is delicious. We tested a few ways and found that husked and vacuum sealed was the way to go.
JRinPA is offline   Reply With Quote