View Single Post
Old January 1, 2020   #10
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Dawg growing cauliflower down here is more a matter of getting the timing right than the variety. I have gone as long as two years without getting a single decent head and then for the next few year every kind I plant does terrific in both fall and spring. If you set your plants out in late January or very early February they will usually make really good in the spring. It is important to cover them with hoops if it gets below freezing for long. They are a lot like Brussels sprouts in that some years they just do terribly and then the next year you can't eat them fast enough.

I usually have good luck with Snow Crown but it will make small heads if it is too hot when they are set out or if it gets too warm too early in the spring. The heads on them usually range a bit larger or smaller than 5 or 6 inches but then sometimes they are all small or you can get some huge ones. If I want a bunch of really larger cauliflower I grow one called Bishop. You can get some heads close to 10 inches across but they generally around 7 to 8 inches across but they take a week or two longer to make.

I haven't grown Amazing but will get a packet next year and try them. I too am a big fan of the clothespins for keeping leaf cover over large cauliflower. If you can keep them well shaded they are so much whiter.

Congratulations on your success.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote