View Single Post
Old September 29, 2007   #3
Tom Wagner
Crosstalk™ Forum Moderator

Quote:
Do you need to ferment the True Potato Seed?
Jeff
Only if I don't get around to the berries while they are still fresh and somewhat firm.

I collect so many potato berries that, yes, some of them ferment or rot down before I get to them.

Fermentation is Mature's way of breaking down the gel surrounding the seed. I prefer to break down the gel with T.S.P., or Trisodium Phosphate. TSP is acleaning agent, stain remover and degreaser, commonly used to prepare surfaces for painting.

TSP is a highly basic compound and dissolves the gel quickly when the seed is dumped from a strainer into a small body of water with about 3% of TSP for a few minutes. Using gloves, a quick rub of the chemical on the seed within a strainer works magic cleaning the seed in preparation for a chlorine rince. Nature just doesn't clean like TSP.

When I get time, I will post some step by step methods of berry collecting, curing times, crushing the berries with a blender, floating off the pulp, separation of seed from the water, TSP and Chlorine treatments, and drying. If you wish, I could include some digital photos, too.

Tom Wagner
Tom Wagner is offline   Reply With Quote