View Single Post
Old February 24, 2020   #4
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnkaplantech View Post
Hi Bill
We do have fusarium and nematodes out here in front range Colorado, so fragile heirlooms die all over the place.
Also, similar to your experience the grafts make more and bigger tomatoes, compared to healthy non-grafted plants.
I've been using Maxifort for larger tomatoes and Matt's Wild Cherry for cherry tomatoes. A few of the Maxifort still succumb to fusarium in my experience, so I wanted to try the Multifort which is supposed to be more immune. It doesn't seem as easy to get hold of Multifort seeds, but at least I found the Paramount seed supplier.

John
Paramount also has a seed called Estamino that is an excellent root stock for fusarium and NPK without being quite as vegetative. I now almost exclusively use RST-04-106-T from NE seeds because along with great fusarium and nematode tolerance it is the only root stock that I know of that helps with Bacterial Wilt which is a major concern down south. It also seems to work better with more different varieties for me than the Multifort or Estamino. It seemed to me that every root stock variety I have tried there are a few scion varieties that just don't thrive on that particular root stock and that is true of the RST root stock also. If you find a variety of scion that isn't doing well after the graft either in its production or plant growth try grafting it onto a couple of other root stocks and see how it does.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote