View Single Post
Old March 30, 2020   #14
Jeannine Anne
Tomatovillian™

Just updating this old post as I have not been around for some time.
Things happen as things happen and I lost my beans that year. I didn't have many seeds left so I took a deep breath and planted them all the following year..sadly my whole garden was negelcted as my husband died that summer and I didn't have any more beans seed. Dan, my SIL dad is now almost blind and is now in a sheltered apartment so he was unable to gorw any this last two years. We couldn't find his seed stash when the house was cleared so I thought the end had come..but.... my daughter is a pack rat with a bad memory. I knew she had had a handful of the beans still in the pod and she left them on an old scale as she thought they looked pretty( she is not a gardener) Last year I asked her f I could have them and she said they were gone, she must have chucked them but couldn't remember.

A couple of weeks ago she turned up with them, for some reason she had wanted them off the old scale and chucked 'em in a drawer which she had just opened..

So her I am with seeds that are at least 5 years old that have been kept loose in a hot kitchen.I tried 10 on damp paper etc but nothing, so last week I gave them a good Mommy talk and sowed them under lights on a heating pad on my kitchen counter. I had a little word with them evey day..Today I have green showing..yipee.

Dan is over 90 now and will be thrilled we have found them, he is failing fast so roll on bean picking time, I want to take him some fresh ones just because!!

I still have about 30 of the seeds my daughter chucked in the drawer too so I feel fairly confident.

If all goes well and I see no reason why it shouldn't I will possibly have seeds to share..

So DON OLSON bean..come on little ones. we need you .

Does anyone else get teary eyed over seeds !!!

All prayers willingly accepted.

XX Jeannine

Last edited by Jeannine Anne; March 30, 2020 at 04:09 PM.
Jeannine Anne is offline   Reply With Quote