View Single Post
Old April 22, 2020   #767
zeuspaul
Tomatovillian™

Bill, I am curious how many gallons you use for your 60? inground? plants per season? I know there are a lot of variables and my growing conditions and soil may be significantly different than yours.

I usually grow my inground plants without any fertilizer. Mostly just drip irrigation and sometimes a little mulch. I get good enough production from hybrids and so so production from OPs. I get enough tomato production by having a lot of plants. However this year hybrids are almost non existent because the local nurseries don't have them. Also local seed sources are scarce. So I have to resort to scrounging through my OP seed collection.

Judging from your success with improved tomato set I want to try TTF to improve the production of my OPs.

There is no way I can properly care for 100 plants. I have too many outdoor chores. I will be feeding with a watering can. I will only be buying TTF and using up my stash of MG. I wanted to grow other vegetables but nursery offerings are lacking this year and NONE of my old squash and lettuce seeds have sprouted.

I was lucky to get an order in for 1 gallon of TTF which seems to be on a slow boat. I will try for a case of TTF which I believe comes UPS but Urban Farms has stopped accepting orders.

I am GUESSING I may use 1 gallon per week per plant. If I feed once a week for June, July, August and September that would be 16 gallons per plant for the season. A gallon of TTF dilutes to 256 gallons so 1 gallon would feed 16 plants. So 5 gallons would feed 80 plants.

Assuming I am off by a factor of 2 the range of plants I could feed would be 40 to 180. I am more interested in having enough than too much so my guess is I should select 40 plants for the TTF regimen and do the rest with MG.

???

Quote:
Originally Posted by b54red View Post
I can't tell you how much you will need. It can depend on how rich your soil is and how much TTF it takes per plant to maintain good growth and production. I usually step up my dosing of the plants as they get larger so as the season goes along I use more and more each time I apply it. I don't think you will have any trouble using a case with 100 plants but if you have any left over it can be used in the fall and winter for those other types of plants. I prefer to use the Vegetable formula for everything except tomatoes because I think it gives me better results but the TTF is certainly a good fertilizer with anything I have tried it on.

If you want a mixed case just order a case of gallons and then send Ed an email telling him how you want the case filled.

Bill
zeuspaul is offline   Reply With Quote