View Single Post
Old October 2, 2007   #14
Tom Wagner
Crosstalk™ Forum Moderator

Quote:
Well, this gets more and more interesting by the minute!
Can you imagine the interesting by the minute scenario multiplied by years for me!

Quote:
I am very much looking forward to what else I may get besides the gold potatoes -- had no idea of the potential for such huge variability!
I have been testing Yukon Gold OP berries for 25 years or more ever since the experimental clone was first accessed by me. In controlled self pollinated berries, as opposed to OP berries, I get a rather predictable segregation of types each time I grow out seedlings. If you grow out seedlings yourself enjoy the following:
  • whites with white flesh
  • whites with light yellow flesh
  • yellows with light yellow flesh
  • yellows with medium yellow flesh
  • yellows with deeper yellow flesh
  • repeat of above but with either light pink eyes/red eye
  • all of the above with templates of size, yield, shape, flavor, etc., differences.
Yukon Gold was selected from a cross between Norgleam (female) andW5279-4 (a yellow-fleshed diploid hybrid of Solanum phureja and haploid cv Katahdin). Yukon Gold is a tetraploid because of the unreduced gamete from it pollen parent.

It was tested under the pedigree G6666-4Y.

The male was a USW 1(Katahdin) x PI 195198.13 (phu) hybrid. The plant introduction was from Columbia but the line used in the breeding was seedling #13, note the .13 behind the accession number. This seedling had pink/red eyes and deep yellow flesh.

PI 195198

Solanum phureja subsp. phureja SOLANACEAE Donor identifier: CPC 979. England 1951
Collected in: Narino, Colombia

The Solanum phureja varieties,have distinct taste benefits, very full flavor and unusual textural qualities.

For cool photos of potatoes from Colombia check this out:
http://bp2.blogger.com/_VOyodbGaDqc/...o+colombia.jpg

Norgleam was a selfed (OP) of its parents: ND 457-1 x ND 457-1 1957

ND457-1 from North Dakota is a cross between SEBAGO x MINN. 92.36-5

Sebago is a cross of sibs: (CHIPPEWA x KATAHDIN)

Looking back at all the Katahdins in Yukon Gold, I determined that it is 5/8 Katahdin.

Its maternal grandparents are one and the same and ¾ Katahdin and its paternal grandmother is a dihaploid of Katahdin, so that makes that grandparent 100% Katahdin. Only the paternal grandfather is not related. The coefficient of inbreeding data is significant.

Nine steps of inbreeding Katahdin clones went into the Yukon Gold. Note the pedigree here:

http://potatodbase.dpw.wau.nl/pedigr...ap.php?id=7222

Tom Wagner BTW has several generations of inbred Yukon Golds and hybrids to many other gold fleshed types.
Tom Wagner is offline   Reply With Quote