Thread: Eggplant 2020
View Single Post
Old June 17, 2020   #9
zipcode
Tomatovillian™

gdaddybill, I have seen your thread of Louisiana Oval Green, most probably it's originating from India/Pakistan, I have seen on youtube harvesting a field full of plants with fruit like that. They seemed pretty big, around 300-500g maybe.

mdvpc, I have grown Kamo last year and it has been my most productive, with 5kg per plant, which is pretty solid for my climate. Very good taste (maybe the best), but the texture wasn't there for me, maybe it needed a lot more water? It was more dense, less spongy/springy, which makes cooking a lot slower, which is very important for the type of dishes I make with eggplant (mostly what is known as eggplant caviar I guess).

After a slow start Xi'an Green is finally showing that it has good vigour, with big leaves, compact, but at the same time an open growth (the side stems go at an angle from another, unlike others that grow all straight up). I had several sprouting and they were all much slower to grow (germination was quite fast) than the rest, so my hopes were low.
zipcode is offline   Reply With Quote