View Single Post
Old February 13, 2021   #3
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

Thank you, I’m glad to hear you loved Tundra!. I love to see people grow my tomatoes but it’s even better to hear that people are growing them more than once. That is definitely the goal, not to be the next flash in the pan novelty.
It’s been an interesting journey so far with many lessons along the way one of which is not to publicly reveal the parents of my crosses specifically but now I have arrived at an interesting crossroads where I can now use my own stable breeding lines as a parent for new crosses. That seems to add a new dimension of renewed excitement for me because now I can explore how tomatoes I created myself combine in crosses with other tomatoes I choose so that is very interesting to me. I will say that these resulted from a cross of one of my lines with a Beta carotene saladette. My idea was to look at making an origional salad sized tomato in an interesting colour and in a potato leaf plant. I think there are some interesting possibilities to take forward and the F1 itself was interesting on its own as well. Much to learn about how these will work out. The flavours o really were very strong, leaning toward more acid than sweet with a few exceptions and so there is a Whole lot of work to be done. F3 will be even more important as I expect a lot of continued segregation so will proceed with just a couple of the very best From the F2 shown here.
As always, a work on progress and a juggling act with several different projects at various stages but it’s fun and I still enjoy it very much.
I grew about 260 plants last year - give or take- from very small dwarfs in my short and sweet project to the nearing completion large new hearts and beefsteaks. It’s possible there may be a couple of new ones ready this year but will see how it goes it is still very important to me that they be stable as I am very serious about my tomatoes being considered consistent

KarenO
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote