View Single Post
Old April 16, 2021   #6
Milan HP
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveP View Post
I took a chance and planted early (April 2nd) due to the extended 10 day forecast looked good. Now next Wed morning it says 34f. I only gambled with 4 tomatoes and 1 pepper, so it won't be a major loss if I lose them. But I'm considering taking them out of their planters and repotting them into some 1 gal containers and bringing them inside and then replanting. It potting mix it should be simple to do.

I love this time of year though. Anticipation runs high.
Hello Steve,
anticipation and eagerness, I'd say. I have a story from last year. My goal is to have ripe tomatoes as early as possible. And last year the weather in April here was really warm, more like early summer than spring. The long-term weather forecast was favorable, so I planted my first tomatoes on April 7. I was also careful, I planted only 7 plants, covered them with polyethylene foil and expected an early harvest. Never happened. The second week in May frost came back and I was just happy to keep them alive. And I got the first ripe tomatoes from a plant that I left at home for too long and when I planted it on May 17, it already had fruits (and was maybe 120 cm tall). This April has offered no such temptation so far.
Milan HP
Milan HP is offline   Reply With Quote