View Single Post
Old June 6, 2021   #17
AKmark
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by dshreter View Post
No, I don’t have it in hand! pH is around 8 here, and I grow in Pro Mix HP. What would I be targeting as optimal?
The fertilizer itself with the correct blends of N can lower pH on its own, if the tap water is not too basic that alone can be enough for some. We have to use acid on top of that. I use 55 percent Phosphoric acid, it does not affect antagonism or cause any precipitation with Ca and S. We shoot for a 6.5 when growing seedling and a 6.2 with mature plants.

Many don't know, but we just don't grow tomatoes, we have a large retail center. We have several thousand people come through every year, we do sessions with the state Master Gardeners programs, we do tours, and have an information center where people can learn. We are a full service GH and setting up home hobby growers is what we do, weather it be organic twists or synthetics in containers. We are also in a huge loop, we can call or send samples to labs, I have white coat support everywhere, we are also under scrutiny of the USDA, DEC, EPA, etc, etc. In short, T's crossed I's dotted daily, and we try to pass along high value information so people are successful and HAPPY. The last three words all go together.

In short you can add pH down to your fert tank, I put mine by itself.
AKmark is offline   Reply With Quote