View Single Post
Old January 5, 2022   #21
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

I think youll be hard pressed to find much work on the subject simply because I think “ scientific” breeders haven’t been very interested in potato leaf tomatoes which have tended to be grown and collected by heirloom gardeners, small farmers and modern OP tomato enthusiasts like myself.
Perhaps now that flavour is becoming more of a focus in hybrid breeding there will be more attention paid to identifying specific genetic linkages in potato leaf tomatoes but I doubt it personally unless there is a commercial profit driven reason identified and I don’t believe that reason will be flavour. A commercially important motivation could be in regard to disease resistance but you’d think it would have already been done in that case and also presumably linked traits would need to result in commercial ( hybrid) F1 potato leaf plants bred from proprietary lines which Would be a pretty big departure from the regular leaf norm in hybrid tomatoes and would be rather like starting from scratch. I think it would need a very significant advancement to make that fly due to the need for both parents to be potato leaf to get a potato leaf F1. Seems to
Me even the “ heirloom marriage” style hybrids of recent years are probably all regular leaf. Although I’m not sure.
Just my musings regarding what would motivate and justify the cost of the study of possible beneficial linkages.
Meantime I guess I’ll carry on with my unscientific Canadian nurse white potato leaf lines just because I like them.
KarenO

Last edited by KarenO; January 5, 2022 at 10:16 PM.
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote